Thursday 3 December 2009

Technical to Creative Writing

Again a busy day means I don't have the intellectual energy to write tonight. I have decided that when this situation arises, I'll spend some time re-reading previous exercises and posting here.

One thing which is immediately apparent in the first project 4 exercise is that the writing is of a technical nature rather than creative. Technical writing forms a major part of my day job, and as such is the instinctive route I take when describing anything. Something I'll have to watch.

I did (I believe) a better job on exercise 2, where I "got it" in terms of what I was trying to do creatively.

An illustration of what I mean would be
(ex 4.1) "In the centre there is a convex circular disc, again chrome, about one centimetre in diameter"
and
(ex4.2) "Both surcoat and shield are white, symbolising purity, and each is emblazoned with the blood red cross of St George"

The second example, whilst not literary genius, is I think a definite improvement on the first.

1 comment:

  1. All writing can be creative if you care about the words - I like lists for example. I also write corporate reports and governance papers at work and I take just as much care with them.

    Julia Cameron's book The Right to Write discusses this well and is very encouraging. It is bit 'crystal healing' for my taste but I can forgive it that, because it has lots of good exercises and is a great motivator to write - she talks a lot about allowing yourself to write badly.

    ReplyDelete