Monday 7 December 2009

Writing Style

Managed a good couple of hours tonight in one stretch, allowed me to complete project 4's exercises and start on project 5, the poetry one.

As I expected I made significant changes in exercise 4.5 to the writing from exercise 4.1, whilst the next three exercises have had little done to them.

One thing I've noticed I am doing at present is perhaps over elaborating on some of the descriptions, making the words more "flowery" than I am comfortable with, which means the overall passage becomes disjointed, and reads as though it is composed of paragraphs by two or more different people.

This is I suspect partly because of preconceptions I have about "creative" writing, and partly because I am trying to write specifically in response to the questions asked by the exercises and end up not writing in my own "voice" but in a manner I think the exercise is looking for.

I have put some of this right in the redrafts for exercise 4.5, but will probably revisit this section of works once it has had time to mature a little.

1 comment:

  1. Hate flowery writing - and so unneccessary. I had this preconception too - \a long time ago. read George Orwell, Raymond Carver, Jean Rhys... and many more.

    ReplyDelete